1. Collection of Short StoriesInstead of creating one story, write many short ones. You can reach the 50,000-word count by writing a collection of short stories. You can mix and match them, or interconnect them or have no theme.
2. PlayscriptHave you read Harry Potter and the Cursed Child or Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them screenplay? If so, there you go. Write your play out in the same format as the Cursed Child. An excellent way for a scriptwriter to get their ideas down.
3. Epic PoemWant to surpass Homer’s Iliad and Odyssey. Here is your chance to compose your epic poem.
4. Book of PoemsDo you have poems lying around, journals filled with saddening prose? Why not dust those pages off and use those lovely verses to compose a book? Do you think you got 50,000 – words? I do.
5. AutobiographyHave you led an interesting life? If so, here is your chance to record it all down. Humans love reading about other humans’ lives. We love voyeurism. If not, people like the Kardashians would not be rich, or on the front pages of everything.
6. Maladaptive DaydreamingMaladaptive daydreaming is something I suffer from every day. It coincides with my excoriation. Here is your chance to write your daydreams out and turn them into stories. If you use a journal, flip through the pages and see which ones you can spin into a full-length novel or a series of short stories. You see, National Novel Writing Month is more than writing a novel. It is a place and time to get all stories whether they are poems, short stories, biographies, or plays out, and to breathe new life into them.